Sunday, February 22, 2009

WA5 - Draft 2

I stand here, in the same spot, watching, observing every detail, every color, movement and person. I feel nervous, I have never had so many butterflies in my stomach, everyone keeps telling me no t to worry and they will fix everything. MY head is spinning with emotion and I feel a tear run down my face as I stand there looking at myself in the most beautiful dress getting ready to walk down an isle that will lead me to my future. Everything is swirling around me, the colors and scents of the different perfumes and I notice I am not the only one letting a tear shed.

Then, like clockwork, everyone freezes and stares at me, each person picking out the last details that need to be fixed. Then everyone rushes out of the room leaving me alone, waiting for the moment I have to walk and as I turn I see one of my bridesmaids telling the flower girl what to do. All I can think about is not slipping on the petals she throws to the ground, each one delicate. Then I realized something in her face, confusion maybe but I am not quite sure but before I could figure it out she was taking little steps growing closer and closer to my groom. The next thing I knew I was right behind her, my heart racing and every face on me. As I turn to face my groom, I take a peek at the flower girl and she is staring out into the audience smiling.

People were racing around me as I stood in the same place, my heart beating harder and harder as the moments ticked away. Every face around me was a blur; everyone was tugging on my dress making sure nothing went wrong as I walked down the isle. I didn’t know how to speak or move or even breathe at the moment everything was happening so quickly. Finally, the lasts touches were put in place and it was time to make my entrance. I reached up to my face and felt a faint tear escape and I now understood the emotions I had seen so many years ago. I saw the flower girl being given instructions and remembered my first time as a flower girl and how I didn’t understand the tears and she had the same expression I wore when I saw the tears.

I watched her walk in front of me and everything seemed so familiar, she tossed the petals just as I had and now it was my turn to follow them. I walked down the isle looking straight, feeling a wave of emotion come over me and I knew exactly how the bride had felt when she made the same journey many years ago. I stepped to my groom looked out into the audience and locked eyes with the bride from my child hood and she smiled at me and nodded. I returned the gesture now understanding everything.

No comments: